On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Ellie.
> On the topic of event safety, I am wondering if there is a standard
> checklist that WMF uses when narrowing potential sites for Wikimanias and
> if you could make that checklist public. Perhaps it is public already but I
> don't know where to find it.

​This is what we were using for the past few Wikimanias.    It is public.
I reference it in the recent posting as well.  I will be updating this
since we are no longer doing the competitive bidding process but it does
have a lot of information and is pretty accurate.​

Regarding Wikimania goals and strategy, I'd like to suggest that WMF take a
> look at what our friends in WMDE have done with the Wikimedia Conference to
> increase focus on specific topics and to make conference outcomes a bit
> clearer and more measurable.

​WMF funds with a grant this conference and works closely with WMDE.
There was a proposal a couple of years ago to have a paid program and
events coordinator who would provide continuity year to year and liaise
with other conferences/groups.  There is also paid meeting planner as well
as staff support from the WMDE itself.

> I also like that WMDE devotes significant staff support to the conference,
> which decreases the burden on volunteers; I would like to see a similar
> shift for Wikimania so the event is less dependent on heroic efforts from
> volunteers. I realize that there is financial cost involved with increased
> staff support for conferences; this is one area in which increased
> expenditure makes sense to me.

​We started that in London and Mexico City Wikimania with my position and a
paid local coordinator (Esino Lario was an exception where the local team
received a grant and handled pretty much everything.)  ​