Hi Phoebe,

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 11:01 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.ay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> We had planned to have a presentation clinic for speakers at Wikimania, but
> unfortunately the leader had to cancel at the last moment. So
> instead...since I imagine lots of people are finishing their talks this
> weekend, let's share our best advice for giving a presentation with each
> other!

If someone else signing up to help you on this front can reduce some
workload from you, please ping me. I'd be happy to pick up work on
this front or others.

> More tips are here: https://wikimania2017.wikimedia.org/wiki/Speaker
> information
> Add your own, or reply here.

Adding one more tip:

Context: I'm not a native English speaker which means my vocabulary
set is limited, I can make grammatical errors when speaking, and under
stress, I may say things that in sequence may not make sense in
English. ;)

The best advice for this case I've received from a professor some
years ago was to write down /everything/ I want to say about a slide
in the slide notes exactly how I wish I could say it at the
presentation time. Then, I read these notes 2-3 times, and then I do
2-3 runs of the presentation for myself. This approach has worked for
me quite well. Before doing this, I used to waste a lot of time (and I
guess annoy the audience) by saying "emmm" and looking for words in my
mind. On extra tip if you go with this approach: don't read your notes
too many times or you will sound like someone who has memorized a
script. ;)

Writing what you want to say will take time, it takes me between 45-60
min for 15 slides (that I've never presented before), but it's
honestly one of the best uses of that time if you're preparing for a
presentation.

> see you very soon!

can't wait. :)

Best,