Il giorno lun 30 lug 2018 alle ore 12:57 Deryck Chan
<deryckc...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> The problem here is that if WMF or the organisers of an event needs to
> enforce FSP and keeps secret about the entire incident, speculation and
> one-sided perspectives can run amok in the community debate that ensues.
>
> Lilli and Asaf have a good point: the specifics about a case of FSP
> enforcement ought not to be the subject of public debate because that creates
> additional stress on the participants. But for the enforcers to keep utter
> silence has served the opposite purpose: the lack of an official statement of
> enforcement has caused speculation to run wild.
>
> It would be in the interest of both transparency and justice that the T&S or
> the organisers make a short announcement whenever FSP is invoked. It could be
> as anonymous as "We have had an incident where an attendee felt uncomfortable
> in a discussion. Attendees are reminded to... [insert appropriate behaviour]"
>
> What is missing from the FSP process is this pre-emptive, limited release of
> information from an act of enforcement. It can come with a reminder that
> further discussion of the incident is discouraged to protect the privacy of
> those involved.

+2. Just to let you know, Wikimedia Italia has recently approved a
Code of Conduct,[1] roughly based on WMF's Friendly Space Policy, with
the difference that we explicitly stated that the person that gets
sanctioned in light of the Code of Conduct has the right to know why
the sanction has been taken.

I think *this* would be the one and only amendment that we should do
to the FSP. It doesn't have to be publicly announced by Katherine or
Jimbo to the whole assembly, but at least it'd be nice for the person
affected to know.

There's also another thing we should do, but this cannot be an
amendment to the FSP. I quote directly DaB. on this:

Il giorno lun 30 lug 2018 alle ore 02:24 DaB. <w...@dabpunkt.eu> ha scritto:
> I will respect the other people around me, I will try to
> not make them uncomfortable, and if there is a problem (for example:
> being too loud) I expect that somebody will talk to me, and I’m sure
> that there will be a solution.

I know that somebody would feel... weird in asking certain things, or
to respect certain things. I know what it's like, because I live in
constant fear of "doing the wrong thing", since I too have some minor
problems in approaching new people, and sometimes overthink too much
the weight of my words or actions.

Asking politely not to do certain things to me is perfect, but in a
way we should remember Wikimania or any other wiki event is NOT an
hostile environment - quite the opposite. In my experience, I found
wiki events the perfect environment to step up a bit my "social
skills", because I know this is *my* people I'm addressing, let's not
forget that.

L.

[1] https://wiki.wikimedia.it/wiki/Codice_di_condotta (Italian only)