On Friday, 15 June 2012 at 13:21, David Gerard wrote:
> I don't recall seeing any, but did anyone actually explain why the
> market had not provided a filtering solution for Wikipedia, if there's
> actually a demand for one?

Market failures do sometimes exist.

Also, because as far as I can tell, the proposed filter isn't a NetNanny type
thing, it's a "I don't want to see pictures of boobies" AdBlock type thing.
Which is a different thing entirely.

Of course, there's some confusion here. Larry Sanger, for instance, is very
very angry about how Wikipedia hasn't implemented a "filter", even though he
seems slightly confused as to the difference between an AdBlock type filter and
a NetNanny type filter.

Preventing people who don't want to see pictures of naked people from seeing
pictures of naked people is a lot easier a task than preventing people who DO
want to see pictures of naked people from doing so.

--
Tom Morris
<http://tommorris.org/>