Hey Risker, Pine, David, all,

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 June 2014 12:25, David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 3 June 2014 16:37, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Okay, further to what I've said above....I think that before having an
> > RFC,
> > > we should seek community assistance to carry out a small-scale study so
> > > that there is some evidence on which people can base their decisions.
> >  This
> > > is what I would suggest.
> >
> > [snip a possible user test scenario]
> >

> > +1. Some sort of user testing like this would be fantastic.
> >
> > We might even be able to set it up so the Internet will do it for us,
> > which will save WMF paying testers ... could do some serious A/B work
> > too. There must be frameworks for this sort of thing ...
> >
> > VE team (cc James): so. How do you think this thing is now, getting to
> > a year later? Performance? Robustness? Stability of code?
> >

> > -
>

> David, one of the most important features of this proposed test is that
> people who *know* what the results ought to look like are carrying out the
> testing.  It is probably a good idea to have parallel testing with new or
> inexperienced users, but at the end of the day, it's
> experienced Wikipedians who are going to make the decision whether or not
> to open up availability of VisualEditor to an expanded user group, and they
> are the ones who have to believe that it is fit for purpose, at least for
> basic editing skills required by new users.  I suspect that
> most Wikipedians will give much more regard to the documented experiences
> of editors whose reputations they know as compared to those who are brand
> new - and I include myself in that group.  I've seen ringers sent in too
> often in different kinds of user tests (not necessarily Wikimedia-specific)
> to fully assume good faith.
>
> Risker/Anne

If anyone would like to have a look at what usability testing is being done
for simple tasks, it's over on mediawiki[1]. Compare notes, use the talk
page, feel free to discuss what's going on there.

What is clear to me is that the community needs to spend some time
discussing about how they would like to have the discussion. There have
been various proposals on this mailing list and on-wiki about how to
reintroduce VisualEditor for the new user, all of which have been quite
interesting and diverse in approach. It's vital that a path going forward
can be agreed upon by all of us, and community leadership and community
lead discussion is key to this. The events of last year make this a
delicate discussion to have; and I think a good place to start would be
slow, deliberate brainstorming on-wiki. There were hundreds of participants
in the last RfC and it's important that we take the time to think it though
together rather than having competing formats, if you will

Another thing that would be very useful would be better promotion from
within the community to use Beta Features[2]. Conversations about
developing features are what make products better :)

1. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/VisualEditor/Design/User_testing
2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-betafeatures

--