On 5 June 2014 19:33, Michael Snow <wikipe...@frontier.com> wrote:

> On 6/5/2014 11:11 AM, Pete Forsyth wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Michael Snow <wikipe...@frontier.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Pete's were again primarily social and community-based, but at this level
>>> of discussion we should be looking at both social features and technical
>>> ones.
>>>
>> YES YES YES!
>
> I also don't believe that social and technical aspects can always be
> neatly separated.

The common separation between UX and community/social concerns inspired me
to choose "Social Machines
<https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page/Social_Machines>" as a
theme for Wikimania this year, a term invented by Nigel Shadbolt, Tim
Berners-Lee et al and defined thus:

"Once upon a time 'machines' were programmed by programmers and used by
users. The success of the Web has changed this relationship: we now see
configurations of people interacting with content and with each other,
blurring the line between computations performed by machine logic and
algorithms, and those that result from input by humans, arising from their
own psychological processes and life experience. Rather than drawing a line
through such Web-based systems to separate the human and digital parts (as
computer science has traditionally done), we can now draw a line around
them and treat each such compound as a 'social machine', a machine in which
the two aspects are seamlessly interwoven."

The thing I especially like about the "machine" metaphor is the implication
that they are things that can be fixed :)

*Edward Saperia*
Chief Coordinator Wikimania London <http://www.wikimanialondon.org/>
email <e...@wikimanialondon.org> • facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/edsaperia> • twitter