In case it's not clear enough in my sig, this is my personal opinion:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Martijn Hoekstra <
martijnhoeks...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2014 5:11 AM, "Keegan Peterzell" <keegan.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Wil Sinclair <w...@wllm.com> wrote:
> >

> > > FWIW, I signed my first comment by hand. I missed the comments about
> > > sigs in the wikitext editor interface. If it weren't for my family
> > > situation, I'm pretty sure I would have bailed. In any case, it was
> > > much easier to engage at WO, and that was partly- but not mostly- due
> > > to the fact that they run discussion software over there.
> > >
> > > ,Wil
> > >

> > ​This - signing by hand - is pretty much a universal experience for new
> > users, myself included.
> >

> https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:History_of_Alaska&diff=prev&oldid=26555079
> > ​
> >

> > --
> > ~Keegan
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan
>
> I'm not saying that isn't crap and unwelcoming: it is, and it deters new
> users. But it's hardly the end of the world either. By signing the wrong
> way no real harm is done, if someone just tells you about the option to use
> ~~~~
>
> It's crap and archaic and should be fixed, but it's also an example of the
> idea that there are no mistakes on a wiki. So you did something not right?
> Great, that means you contributed. So we fix it (collaboratively) and
> improve your contribution, no harm done.

​I agree with you, Martjin. If you follow the cookie crumbs you'd see that
I registered an account on the English Wikipedia /solely/ so I could sign a
complaint about a resource I used and loved, and I thought it best to give
respect back by registering and figuring out how to sign my complaint. I
was also incredibly lucky as a n00b to have positive interactions, right
from the get-go, which makes it a little more clear to me why I'm still
around after all this time. I'm thirty-three years old, to me a nine-year
unintentional commitment is a lifetime :)

I'm also aware, through my experiences through the past nine years, that my
experience is Golden™, and I desperately wish all new users could have such
an experience.

This kind of thing starts with software changes that break my workflow. I
hate that. But to be fair, my workflow is ridiculous because the software
is.​

​The steps I have to take to do the things that I do would, IMO, make a
rational person cry :).  I really don't understand the theory that new
users have to go through the same experiences as I did, no matter how
pleasant, again IMO, my experiences were. Hazing is an antiquated and
unfruitful process. It only breaks people down to rebuild them in the image
that you want, and that's contradictory to the individualism that Wikimedia
promotes. I enjoy the fact that Wikimedia sites allow flexibility and
customization on a personal account and institutional level. On the other
hand, the world keeps moving and I sta​y in the same place unless I choose
to go through the process of acceptance of a changing world. I do not
consider the world changing to be something shoved down my throat; it's a
reality of life.

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.