> I'm not quite sure I understand that. Can you maybe explain how the
> Committee does currently determine the recommended amount? I mean,
> practically speaking. I would have guessed that you do discuss indiviual
> aspects and quantify the impact on your recommended allocation.

Practically, before our meeting we work on reading the proposals and
evaluations, as well as community's feedback, and request additional
information, if necessary. Then we make anonymous initial allocations. Then
we meet and discuss each case in rounds (at least two per proposal, more or
longer if necessary - e.g. we spent definitely more time discussing WMDE
proposal than any other one this round). In each round we go into
discussing the details of the project. In the first round we typically
would end with additional anonymous allocation (each time we also see the
results - how they are clustered, the mean, the median, deviation, etc.).
After seeing the allocations we discuss WHY each of us proposes a
cut/increase/full funding and have a free exchange of arguments. We repeat
this process, then we move to "gradients of agreement" tool (allowing to
express 7 different shades of agreement/disagreement for a proposed
amount). We continue discussions and arguments, including considerations of
what will need to be cut in terms of budgetary items, whether there may be
need to make staff cuts (which we really try to treat responsibly, we know
that people's lives are involved), until we have agreement on a certain
allocation. In absolutely most cases the consensus is really high
eventually.

dariusz "pundit"