Hi Patrik,

(I'm speaking for myself as a member of the FDC, not as a spokesperson for
the whole committee.)

A large part of the reason that the FDC was created was to have an
international group of volunteers do the work of helping the organizations
in the wikimedia family do a better job around strategic planning,
governance practices, and creating and executing budgeted activities that
bring impact to the wikimedia movement locally and globally.

During this round of the FDC evaluating the requests, the majority of the
organizations that we were looking at had submitted requests to the FDC for
the past 3 years. While we have seen improvement around strategic planning,
budget planning and evaluation, there is still a great amount of room for
improvement from everyone in the wikimedia movement (including the WMF.)

If you read the recommendations, FDC is primarily asking the largest
organizations to re-evaluate their current capacity to deliver impact to
the movement in line with the funds that they are using. In many instances
it involves looking at the organizations overall capacity to develop and
execute a strategic plan. Because the FDC is making recommendations about
unrestricted funds, rather than focusing on a specific project or program,
often the reductions in funds is linked to concerns about an organizations
capacity to grow (eg., hire and manage more staff, do more complicated
projects.)

In some instance we gave general comments about some funds. For example,
the FDC commented on the Wikimedia Deutschland’s Volunteer Support program,
with an estimated cost of € 710,000 ($880,000 USD) for next year which was
larger than any other single proposal made to the FDC. Reiterate that I'm
speaking for myself not the whole FDC,  I think that Wikimedia Deutschland
did not make a stronger justification to the whole wikimedia movement about
why that this high level of funding should be dissemination to the
wikimedia movement through this program. Because we are making a
recommendation about unrestricted funds, this type of evaluation and
revamping needs to come from inside Wikimedia Deutschland.

Patrik, you are asking good questions and making insightful comments, so I
encourage you to join the larger discussion about the way that the
wikimedia movement funds the work of volunteers and organizations. Look out
for announcements about community discussion around strategic planning and
wikimedia movement grants and join in!.

Warm regards,

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight