Excellently put Lodewijk.

In an attempt to answer your question:
I would like to ask for clarification the expectations of raising funds
externally.

In previous years, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, it has
been emphasised that the 'money raised in a country' should be considered
independent of 'money spent in that country'. This is a principle that
everyone (I think) agrees with, on the basis that a country might be
donor-poor but activity-rich or vice versa. Taken at its purest, this
principle implies that the annual plans submitted should be independent of
the amount of money [potentially] available to be accessed locally.

Separately, there is also the fact that several of the responses from the
FDC emphasise that some Chapters should push for more external funding
sources - to diversify their income streams and to lessen the burden on the
global Wikimedia budget. And that these Chapters' Annual Plan budgets
should take more into account those funds.

Both of these policies are internally consistent and logical, however I
believe that they are at least partially contradictory. I believe the FDC
is working on the best advice it has available, and I know that I have not
read *all *the most recent documentation about Chapter finances. But, I
would like to know if there is a policy position from the WMF Board of
Trustees that clarifies what is expected of Chapters in this area.

A corollary question is, if a chapter does receive external funding (from
whatever source), how should that money be accounted for in the Annual
Plan? If it is in a separate budget that is outside FDC-scrutiny that would
seem to be a way of avoiding accountability to the movement as a whole...
On the other hand, should the FDC have jurisdiction over money that is not
derived from the WMF APG program?

It's possible that extensive explanations for these questions exists
already and I just didn't know where to find it - sorry if that's the case
:-) Also, I'm not asking the FDC to "answer" these questions now (or saying
which option I prefer), I'm wanting to know if the WMF Board of Trustees
has given clear instructions to the FDC/Chapters in this area.

Sincerely,
-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata