On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:58 PM Pine W <wiki.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> What happens to the remodel expenses that WMF is paying for at its current
> location? If WMF vacates the premesis, will it be compensated for the
> remodel by the building owner?
>
> I hope that WMF is contemplating fully exiting the San Francisco market
> area in order to economize, get better value for our donors' funds, have
> less competition for talent, and lower costs of living for staff. Is this
> being considered?

Keep in mind that the WMF already mitigates the cost and competition of the
San Francisco Bay Area market by recruiting remote employees.

According to the recent report (
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:State_of_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.pdf)
a large number are based either in other U.S. states or internationally.
Out of 202 employees, 77% are US-based in 19 states and 23% are based
abroad in 19 countries.

Combine the remote employees in the U.S. and abroad, I wouldn't be
surprised if close to half of staff are based remotely. On engineering
teams especially, it's not uncommon for a majority of employees to be
remote.