From: wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org
[mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of Amir Ladsgroup
Sent: 06 July 2015 11:49 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Cebuano and Waray-waray Wikipedias among Top 10

I'm a bot operator in Persian Wikipedia (~500K articles) and I'm directly or
indirectly responsible for creating more than half of the articles in that Wiki
using automated or semi-automated tools that I built. If our language used
Latin alphabet, we definitely would be one of the five biggest wikis.

I'm telling this to emphasize I'm not against bot-creating articles in general
but I agree this is not the way we build Wikipedia.

We create articles of Wikipedia for people to read. Even if your articles has a
very low quality eventually someone will improve it [1] but articles that have
reader. How many of these articles will be read by people?
Honestly I think 100K out of the 1M was enough.

That's why we created articles by bot in broad topics in Persian Wikipedia
(minor planets 16K, villages of Iran 70K, national heritages of Iran 20K,
cities of the world ~20K, chemical compounds 10-20K) because 20K articles in
same topic attracts less then half of reader comparing to combination of 10K in
one topic and 10K in another topic.

[1]: IPs can't create article, we enabled it once, disaster. but they can edit
articles (low-quality-bot-created articles) and it attracts to add something
and after a while they become a regular editor. That's why Persian Wikipedia
has one of the highest growth rate in number of users and active users. So
bot-created articles can be useful but not this way.
Best

Amir