I've been doing this in Israel for a while already. (In Hebrew! From right
to left! Thanks to User:Mooeypoo [cced], she is awesome!)

It's pretty successful.

Basic formatting, headings, and citations are far, far easier to explain
using VE.

I do *mention* the source editor, because it's inevitable for understanding
talk pages and diffs, but I dedicate far less time to it than I did at
workshops three years ago. This leaves more time to do actual article
writing. Some people actually stay as editors afterwards (sorry, I don't
have a precise number).

I'm doing this every three or four months or so, and it's amazing to see
the progress and the bug-fixing. A year ago writing an image description
was broken in Hebrew - now it works. A year ago it was impossible to add
tables - now it's not just possible, but easy. A year ago it was weird to
add footnotes - now it's much nicer; not perfect, but already better than
explaining <ref> tags (for a lot of newbies seeing ANY tags at all is an
immediate showstopper that renders the whole workshop useless). Using VE in
workshops is also great for finding and reporting useful bugs - looking at
new users always is.

Wikimedia Israel also uses VE for most of the training materials that it
produces in the last year or so.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬