We (in Amical) always try to teach editing using the visual editor, it's
much easier for newbies, especially for older (+40) people or non-techies.
Obviously we also mention "that other tab which leads to some weird code"
but we almost never dig into it, it's not necessary for them to know
wikicode in order to successfully contribute to wikipedia. Everything is
easier with VE.

*Arnau Duran Ferrero*
www.arnauduran.net

[image: Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/arnauduran> [image: Twitter]