Hi all,

Right, Jane. The ”box" is not connected to the internet but is a mass storage
with WiFi. People can access the content saved to the device with their mobile
phones.

There are initiatives to provide Internet connections to the refugee camps, as
it is nowadays relatively high in a priority list (probably right after the
sanitation, water, food, health services and electricity). Still, I am afraid
that there are many less well-organized refugee camps where there are no
internet connection. In these locations thousands of people could find the
offline content, such as the one provided by the internet-in-box very useful.

This would be a nice way to realize our mission "to disseminate educational
content effectively and globally".

        - Teemu

PS. In general I am against offline-Wikipedia but exceptional situations need
exceptional solutions.

> On 8.9.2015, at 10.13, Jane Darnell <jane...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> all they need is wifi to connect to the box I think, so it would be just
> one box not connected to the internet with a wifi access.
> http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/surprised-that-syrian-refugees-have-smartphones-well-sorry-to-break-this-to-you-but-youre-an-idiot-10489719.html?cmpid=facebook-post
>
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polime...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well.. this is imaginable scale - I don't think if WMF have enough
>> resources to provide free internet to such a huge group of people packed in
>> a number of huge camps sometimes without basic facilities such as
>> electricity... See the picture of just one camp:
>>

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:An_Aerial_View_of_the_Za'atri_Refugee_Camp.jpg
>>
>> Syrian people live in camps in Lebanon and Turkey for third year (since
>> 2012)... There is even not enough basic schools and simple paper textbooks
>> for children...

>>> Hello people,
>>>
>>> Just an idea. Number of Syrian refugees is over 4,000,000 people, mostly
>>> residing in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq.[1] Refugee camps are set in
>>> all in these countries.[2]
>>>
>>> Internet-in-a-Box[3] is a a WiFI-device with "Wikipedia in 37 languages,
>>> library of 40,000 e-books, most of the world's open source software and
>>> source code, hundreds of hours of instructional videos, and world-wide
>>> mapping down to street level.”
>>>
>>> Could we as a movement get the internet-in-a-box to the refugee camps?
>>>
>>>        - Teemu
>>>
>>> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
>>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_refugee_camps
>>> [3] http://internet-in-a-box.org