"It looks like WMF has some pleasure from spitting on some of the
values which define it and which are very important for us. For me to
look on these particular mentioned wikis, to see a bad abuse there and
to be able to do nothing is very humiliating."

It was a photo of a cup of coffee.  It was a mistake that was quickly
acknowledged and corrected.  Let's keep things in perspective, please.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <bas...@yandex.ru> wrote:
> That is not a small thing. That is an enormous thing. We show people some
> unfree image while propagating free stuff. Hypocrisy? We are speaking about
> thousands of people seeing it.
>
> It is good that the stuff was removed, but from my point of view that
> another image with link to an external site rather than to Commons is still
> a very bad thing. It reminds me those games where ads are ways better than
> the game itself.
>
> Commons must contain the images used to help funding projects one of which
> is Commons.
>
> Another disturbing point indeed is WMF hiding on all these wikis like
> donatewiki, votewiki
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum/Archives/2015-06#License_policy_abuse_on_votewiki>and
> similar where it freely violates its own licensing policy and where they are
> safe from the community.
>
> It looks like WMF has some pleasure from spitting on some of the values
> which define it and which are very important for us. For me to look on these
> particular mentioned wikis, to see a bad abuse there and to be able to do
> nothing is very humiliating.
>
> I just cannot imagine such things to be mistakes. If it after all is a
> mistake then it's systematical one and something with the organization is
> wrong. Wrong things are those which need fixes.
>
> --Base
>

> On 03.12.2015 23:49, Rob wrote:
>>
>> I doubt the selection of a single image occupied that much staff time
>> and discussion.  No process is perfect. This is a small thing, that
>> was quickly fixed.  I doubt a lot of money was wasted here.
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 4:11 PM, John Mark Vandenberg <jay...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Someone needed to approve purchasing the stock photograph.  They are
>>> not free...?  Was it WMF or Trilogy?
>>> Even if it was Trilogy, WMF sanity check processes are also not
>>> working.  Surely someone at WMF is responsible for QA of the images
>>> used in fundraising?
>>>
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:ListFiles shows this stock
>>> photograph was uploaded to donate.wikimedia.org many times, and worked
>>> on by WMF staff members.
>>>

>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:10-coffee-txt-thepricekeepswikithriving.jpg
>>> - SPatton (WMF)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:03-coffee-txt-goingallyear.jpg
>>> - SPatton (WMF)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Newgreen.jpg - SPatton (WMF)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Greencoffeecup-alt.jpg - SPatton
>>> (WMF)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Greencoffeecup-4.jpg - SPatton
>>> (WMF)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coffee-price-overhead-redcup.jpg
>>> - SPatton (WMF) (marked as CC-BY-SA; is that legal with the Getty
>>> Image?)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coffee-overhead-3dollars.jpg -
>>> RStearns (Trilogy)
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coffee-overhead-small.jpg -