From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Andreas Kolbe
Sent: Friday, 18 December 2015 10:06 AM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality issues

Gerard,

Of course you can't license or copyright facts, but as the WMF legal team's
page on this topic[1] outlines, there are database and compilation rights that
exist independently of copyright. IANAL, but as I read that page, if you simply
go ahead and copy all the infobox, template etc. content from a Wikipedia, this
"would likely be a violation" even under US law (not to mention EU law).

I don't know why Wikipedia was set up with a CC BY-SA licence rather than a
CC0 licence, and the attribution required under CC BY-SA is unduly cumbersome,
but attribution has always seemed to me like a useful concept.
The fact that people like VDM Publishing who sell Wikipedia articles as books
are required to say that their material comes from Wikipedia is useful, for
example.

Naturally it fosters re-use if you make Wikidata CC0, but that's precisely the
point: you end up with a level of "market dominance" that just ain't healthy.

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikilegal/Database_Rights