From: Wikimedia-l [mailto:wikimedia-l-boun...@lists.wikimedia.org] On Behalf Of
Andreas Kolbe
Sent: Friday, 18 December 2015 1:05 PM
To: Wikimedia Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Quality issues

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Peter Southwood <
peter.southw...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

> Wikipedia is not about infoboxes, they are (and are intended to be) a
> small to very small part of the article in most cases. Similarly,
> Wikipedias are not databases, so also without being a lawyer, I think
> your interpretation is wrong.

If you look at the Meta document I linked, you'll find that the definition of a
database provided there is quite broad:

---o0o---

From a legal perspective, a database is any organized collection of materials —
hard copy or electronic — that permits a user to search for and access
individual pieces of information contained within the materials. No database
software, as a programmer would understand it, is necessary. In the US, for
example, Black’s Law Dictionary defines a database as a "compilation of
information arranged in a systematic way and offering a means of finding
specific elements it contains, often today by electronic means."[1] Databases
may be protected by US copyright law as "compilations." In the EU, databases
are protected by the Database Directive, which defines a database as "a
collection of independent works, data or other materials arranged in a
systematic or methodical way and individually accessible by electronic or other
means."

---o0o---

You could argue that the sum of Wikipedia's harvestable infoboxes, templates
etc. constitutes a database, according to those definitions.

There is also the argument about the benefit of attribution, as opposed to
having data appear out of nowhere in a way that is completely opaque to end
users.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijs...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hoi,
> The CC-0 license was set up with the express reason that everybody can
> use our data without any impediment.  Our objective is to share in the
> sum of all knowledge and we are more effective in that way.
>

> We do not care about market dominance, we care about doing our utmost
> to have the best data available.

Are these not just well-worn platitudes? If you cared so much about quality,
you or someone else would have fixed the Grasulf II of Friuli entry by now.