On 29 Dec 2015 01:17, "Todd Allen" <toddmal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Even if there are legal reasons that disclosure is not possible, a simple
> statement to that effect ("For legal reasons, we cannot provide additional
> information") should be at the very least forthcoming.
>
> If the removal was "not for cause", which apparently is allowed, that
> should be explicitly stated as well.

I think it's probably likely there will be a limit on how much we can know.

If James was removed because of some serious disagreement with the rest of
the Board on an important issue, then the issue itself might mean WMF has
duties of confidentiality. This would be true for instance in almost any
issue connected with WMF staff, for instance.

If (much less likely ) it related to James's  personal conduct then WMF
continues to have a duty of care towards him  (and also must avoid defaming
him).

And finally, all involved will doubtless be trying to resolve whatever the
underlying problem,which is probably very difficult for all concerned - and
trying to avoid further provocation or anguish by saying things in public.

Regards,

Chris

> On Dec 28, 2015 5:45 PM, "Steven Zhang" <cro0...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Quite surprised by this action, it does indeed seem unprecedented and I
> > would hope the board would release a statement as to why this decision
was
> > made. Unless there are legal reasons that mean the board cannot disclose
> > why, I would think that an explanation should be provided.
> >
> > Steve Crossin
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On 29 Dec 2015, at 11:32 AM, Kevin Gorman <kgor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I really, really hope that, as fast as one can be written, a
resolution
> > > explaining more fully the circumstances of James' departure from the
> > board
> > > is written and passed.  If there are legal reasons that mean that his
> > > departure cannot be more fully explained, that itself needs to be
noted -
> > > and I hope they're particularly strong reasons.  Without looking up
the
> > > vote count in the last election: James has the trust of a huge
segment of
> > > the community, and also has a much stronger sense of direction in how
WMF
> > > should be steered than many of our trustees have in the past.  His
sudden
> > > removal (the power mechanism I've cobbled together to have my laptop
> > > functional today is hilarious) without further explanation looks way
too
> > > much like one of only three directly elected trustees spoke up too
openly
> > > in a way that wasn't welcomed about the directions he thought
Wikimedia