I’m honored to work in this new way with the other directors in Community
Engagement through the next few months as we look for the ideal lead for
the department. While I will serve the role in the interim with their
critical support, I will also be continuing as Director of Support and
Safety.

It will be a busy period, and I’m grateful that Luis will be available to
advise me as I settle in. Luis and I have worked together in some capacity
for a long time - since he first came on at the Wikimedia Foundation as
Deputy General Counsel at the Wikimedia Foundation in 2013. I was
immediately impressed by his understanding of and enthusiasm for the open
culture movement. I’ve really enjoyed the opportunity to work closely with
him in the last few months and am very happy to have the opportunity to
continue consulting him during this transition. He will be missed.

Community Engagement will be holding an office hour on February 12 at 1900
UTC to talk about the department, its teams, and our current divisions of
work, as well as what we will (and should) be looking for in our new lead
for Community Engagement. We want to move on this job search quickly, but
it’s critical that we find the right person for the role. :) I realize that
office hours are not the best form of communication for everyone; based on
the office hour and other questions or feedback we may receive, we will
also be putting together some information for posting on Meta with the goal
of getting that up later next week or early the week thereafter. If you
have suggestions for what that page should include, or questions, please
let me know!

I am, as mentioned, likely to be pretty busy for a little while, but
keeping people informed is a high priority. :)

Best,

Maggie

[1] For more on office hours and localized times:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?hour=19&min=00&sec=0&day=12&month=02&year=2016

Maggie Dennis
Director, Support and Safety
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.