The US may be too geographically spread out to develop a robust chapter
system.  We have vibrant chapters in a few dense population areas.
Wikimedia District of Columbia is particularly awesome.  But for most US
editors there isn't a critical mass of editors in some areas.  Often we
work with with chapters that are geographically distant.  There's at least
two of us on the Board of Directors of WMDC who don't live particularly
close to DC.