Here is another such example. Jimmy Wales has tonight told[1] a volunteer

---o0o---

First the idea that Wikidata could be used to "construct articles" with "no
need for editors to edit actual article content" is pretty absurd from a
technological point of view. Major breakthroughs in AI would be
necessary. That isn't what is intended at all, obviously.

---o0o---

So "major breakthroughs in AI" are necessary? This is 2016, and the page
"API:Presenting Wikidata knowledge"[2] on MediaWiki specifically points out:

---o0o---

* Reasonator[3] and Autodesc[4] are tools that create machine-generated
articles and short descriptions about Wikidata items.

---o0o---

Both the Reasonator and Autodesc pages feature what seem to be examples of
such articles:

https://tools.wmflabs.org/autodesc?q=Q1339&links=wikipedia&lang=en&mode=long&format=html&redlinks=reasonator

https://tools.wmflabs.org/reasonator/?q=Q1339

The just concluded strategy consultation[5] specifically highlighted the
idea to "Explore ways to scale machine-generated, machine-verified and
machine-assisted content."

Now, I've got nothing against these ideas in principle. However, like Pete,
I am absolutely astonished at the sheer number of self-contradictory
messages coming from the WMF with regard to all of this.

Could this please stop?

Andreas

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Jimbo_Wales&diff=prev&oldid=705170990