If I remember correctly, I think that's how the Content Translation project
started -- it was someone's personal project, which got more people and
attention because it's a great idea and showed real success.

It's hard to know what the mechanism would be for how to gauge community
support at meaningful intervals. Most people aren't paying a lot of
attention to what the WMF is working on from one day to the next, and
there's only so many big surveys you can do before people get tired of
them. It's a tough problem.