Hello Erik,

I don't disagree with the premise of your argument that an alternative
structure of the wikimedia movement would let some parts of the wikimedia
movement grow stronger and more effective in delivering a focused impact.

There is no doubt that North America could be self sustaining (people and
resources) with loads of thematic organizations, both affiliates and
independent.  The largest European Chapters would do fine.

The question is whether a Federation would actually strengthen the
diversity of the wikimedia movement or would it weaken the global mission?

The important element is a body of people in the wikimedia movement who
strongly embrace the diversity of the movement and make it the priority.

Currently there is weak support in the wikimedia movement for global
alliances. But the ones that have happened have given the wikimedia
movement a sense of unity. Like Wiki Loves Monuments and Art+Feminism.

Right now the central hub of the global movement is WMF. Despite other
recent problems. The WMF is doing a great job of regularly communicating
about the world wide movement.

There needs to be a successful transfer of the global mission to another
body/bodies or there is the risk that local growth will be even more uneven
than today.

Additionally, the core sense of a movement could be lost unless there is a
strong shared vision. Volunteers and donors contribute to a greater
movement because of the its mission.

So,a priority of a Federation would be to foster a strong shared mission.

Sydney

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence