Hi Erik,

thanks for your post, I was thinking of bringing this up as I was part
of that very discussion in August / September 2011 when the Wikimedia
overall governance model was discussed.

The idea that cristalized back then and which I still find very
appealing was to split today's WMF into these bodies - I am making some
adjustments here, as bodies like FDC didn't exist back then:

* Wikimedia Tech:
runs the servers, does the development - gets funded from the global
funds pool (today that would be FDC)

* Wikimedia Fundraising:
does the fundraising and distributes the funds, has the FDC staff /
grant making team

* Wikimedia Foundation:
more like a US chapter, does the content and lobby work, holds the
trademarks

You could even argue to move out the trademarks etc. to another body
which does nothing more than keeping those secure and maybe being home
of the endowment.

Regards,

Manuel
www.wikimedia.ch