Patricio Lorente wrote:
>We’ve heard your questions and want to address them broadly, as well as
>provide more information about the breakdown of Sue’s compensation during
>this time.

Thank you for this e-mail.

>One point of confusion is for the period this compensation covers. This is
>reasonable, this confused even some of us involved in preparing this
>response. Although the majority of activities reported on the Form 990
>cover the Foundation’s fiscal year (specifically, the six months between
>July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015), the IRS requires that details about
>compensation for certain highly-paid individuals are for the full calendar
>year in which the fiscal year begins or ends.

This parenthetical confused me. Six months from July 2014 to June 2015?

>(2) Retention bonus to compensate Sue for lost opportunities during the
>transition period: $165,000.

This is the key piece that I think most people didn't understand or
realize. Was this information published anywhere previously (e.g., in the
Board minutes)? I wouldn't expect to see an exact amount, of course, but
this is a pretty substantial amount of donor money, so I'd expect at least
a "we approved a retention bonus for special advisor Sue Gardner"-type
notice somewhere, typically on wikimediafoundation.org.

>Sue’s special advisor status with the Foundation ended on May 31, 2016,
>and she is no longer on contract with the Foundation or receiving any
>compensation from it.

I can't help but think about the tempestuous past year that the Wikimedia
Foundation has had, including issues with Sue's immediate successor.

MZMcBride