From: "Pine W" <wiki.p...@gmail.com>
Movement Affiliates discussion list" <affilia...@lists.wikimedia.org>
Cc: "Wikimedia Chapters general discussions" <chapt...@wikimedia.ch>
Subject: [Affiliates] [Wikimedia-l] Changes to current chapter and thematic
organisation criteria
Date: Sun, Aug 21, 2016 4:20 AM

Hi Carlos,

As I mentioned previously, I would suggest that the criteria should also apply
to existing chapters. If any chapter's status is in doubt as a result of the
new criteria, then the chapter can be given 6 months to rise to the occasion.
If chapters still do not meet the new criteria after that time, it seems to me
that they should be re-classified as user groups until they re-apply for
chapter status and are accepted by AffCom as meeting the new criteria.

Regarding the uniformity of standards, it seems to me that there needs to be a
common baseline throughout the world. Otherwise, the definition of "chapter"
becomes highly subjective and is effectively at the discretion of the
Affiliations Committee. To use an analogy: a hospital that is providing
reasonably good care for its patients would be considered a good hospital
whether it is in Louisiana or the Philippines. Likewise, a hospital that lacks
essential supplies, has a shortage of health professionals, and has suffered
hurricane damage to its surgery rooms, is a troubled hospital whether it is in
Louisiana or the Philippines.

To use another analogy, this time demonstrating the problems with subjective
and varying standards: the criteria for high school diplomas in the United
States vary so widely that by itself a high school diploma is a nearly useless
credential without knowing which high school granted a particular diploma. It
seems to me that we should avoid this kind of ambiguity in the Wikimedia
community.

While there could be a variety of ways in which a group could be deemed to meet
the standards for a chapter, such as by saying "a chapter must meet four of the
following six criteria" or "this particular requirement may be met in one or
more of the following ways", it still seems to me that the criteria for chapter
status should be transparent, objective (primarily quantitative), and easily
understood by all affiliates that wish to be chapters.

I realize that this is a complex issue, and I hope that this input will be
included for consideration as AffCom continues to discuss the criteria for
chapters and thematic organizations.

Pine