You clearly have a strong and abiding interest in movement governance, and
have been asking some good questions.  You should have submitted your
candidacy.[1]

To your point, I guess it can be taken as a reminder, but it does not seem
to me that the appointments were made *so as to minimize* influence by less
well-known figures.  Rather, it seems to me there was a strong emphasis on
suitability for the work expected from them (as distinct from other
considerations, such as "representation"); it is, of course, easier to
assess that suitability in people known to the people making the decision,
so old hands do have some advantage, but it isn't *because* they've been
around or because they are trusted not to disrupt or challenge the system.

   A.

[1] Perhaps you have, of course.  I can't tell, since your account is
anonymous, but if you did, it would have been good to disclose that fact as
you were criticizing the process, and I trust you'd have realized that, so
I'll assume you did not.

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM, Rogol Domedonfors <domedonf...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> We have seen various appointments to influential committees within the WMF
> "system" in recent weeks: the Funds Dissemination Committee and the Board
> Governance Committee Volunteer and Advisory members; the Board Election
> Committee is being geared up and new Board members will soon be selected by
> the Board itself and via community nomination.  While I am sure that those
> people who have volunteered their time to serve in those capacities are
> well-meaning, conscientious and effective, and well-versed in how things
> have been done in the past, it seems to me that the selections have leaned
> too heavily on people already connected with the movement and its existing
> structures and processes.  I suggest that in line with the Strategy/2016-17
> process [https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/2016-2017] being
> planned,
> these committees, and especially the Board itself, needs an element not
> predisposed to the mere continuation of the current ways of doing things.
> In short the WMF needs to raise its game and to do that it needs
> constructive criticism from outside the existing cadres; it may be that the
> movement as a whole needs to see disruptive change of a sort unlikely to
> commend itself to a WMF/Silicon Valley view of the world.  I urge those
> responsbile for selection of these important and influential groups to
> challenge themselves to look more widely and occasionally choose the
> uncomfortable option.
>
> "Rogol Domedonfors"

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org