Hi James,

> If this does not imply that the logs are copied from Foundation servers,
that is certainly advantageous over the apparent meaning of the language
used.

I am saddened to see that – instead of asking (legitimate) questions to
clarify how data is collected and shared – you are assuming bad faith,
publicly undermining people across multiple teams at Wikimedia – Security,
Legal, Analytics and Research – whose job is to protect the data the WMF
collects for a variety of research and operational purposes.

Let me briefly reinstate what Leila said earlier: the terms of our formal
collaborations
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Formal_collaborations>
prohibit
the sharing of any raw data containing PII (such as webrequest logs)
outside of WMF operated servers, as well as the retention of any such data
past our data retention period
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data_retention_guidelines>. If you have
any substantiated concerns about the collection, retention, or sharing of
data for the purpose of this or other projects, I invite you to follow
Leila's advice and file a request.

> But I question whether recording the personally identifying data in the
first place is wise.

Our privacy policy <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Privacy_policy>
explains in detail what WMF considers PII and how we collect it. If you
have questions about the collection and retention of PII, please post them
here <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Privacy_policy>. All data that's
collected by the WMF is transparently documented on Wikitech
<http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics>.

> I understand that there are currently two other university research
> laboratories
which have similar access. Is that correct?

Current formal collaborations under an NDA are documented on this page
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Formal_collaborations#Current_collaborations>
(see
also our FAQ on Meta <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:FAQ>).
Specifics of data collection and analysis are described on the
corresponding project page.

Dario

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM, Thyge <ltl.pri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> James Salsman wrote:
>

> > If this does not imply that the logs are copied from Foundation
> > servers, that is certainly advantageous over the apparent meaning
> > of the language used.
>

> Reading the links you provided, and Robert West's acknowledgements which
> you did not link to, the above strikes me as being creation of drama as
> opposed to asking a question assuming good faith. Since Robert West had
> a Wikimedia Fellowship 1), I assume that he was able to analyze data from
> Wikipedia directly and that no transfer data outside of the WMF has taken
> place. I'm sure Leila Zia is able to clarify.
>
> Regards,
> Thyge - Sir48
>
> 1) https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research

*Dario Taraborelli  *Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
<http://twitter.com/readermeter>