James, thanks for bringing up that NYTimes article. Having taken a quick
look at it, it does raise some concerns but I would consider it a matter
worthy of further inquiry rather than a red flag. In Wikimedia we have our
own issues with trying to have an "open society" type atmosphere while
keeping a lid on sockpuppetry and other problematic behaviors, and if the
goal of that program was to keep bad-faith individuals out of what should
be highly secure systems then I would be more accepting than I would be if
the goal was to do large scale surveillance of Internet traffic. I would
consider it to be a big deal if someone applying for a WMF role was
involved in facilitating large-scale intrusive surveillance, whether in the
public or private sectors. The program described in that NYTimes link would
be problematic from my perspective, but a bit less so than some of the
other kinds of mass surveillance that have been implemented over the years
by both government and private-sector actors.

I have some other thoughts on this topic, including about Katherine's
comments, but I've got some other time-sensitive issues that I need to
address in the next few days. Hopefully I'll have a chance to comment on
other aspects of this thread by the end of Monday. Other people may want to
share their thoughts in the meantime.

Thanks for your vigilance,

Pine