Hi, John. Thanks for taking the time to share your questions, and I'm happy
to answer them. I've included your original questions and my answers inline:

*Does this involve paying Facebook and Instagram? If so, how much is being
allocated that part of this pilot?*
Yes; we’ll pay a cost per click, or per impressions, for these ads. We’ve
allocated $5,000 USD for this experiment.

*What targets have been set to evaluate whether this pilot will be
considered successful?*
The ultimate goal of running an ads program would be 100% ROI; $2 raised
for every $1 spent. We will also be able to compare ROI with that of our
existing payment processors and determine if Facebook helps increase our
efficiency. But we have no expectations because we don’t yet have data. For
the purpose of this experiment, we simply want to establish benchmarks that
could guide further testing. That being said, our online fundraising model
is entirely built around a/b iterative testing, and we'll employ those
principles in this pilot.

*If it is just to *learn* about potential demographics, I fear that most of
the knowledge gained will already have been published previously by other
non-profits who've tried similar.*

A fair point, though I’d note that, as far as our banners and emails, ‘our
donors don’t always behave like other donors.’ The copy, design, and ask
amounts that work for us do not track exactly with the experiences of other
non-profit peers, whom we also monitor and consult.

If the ROI is favorable, it also gives us the opportunity to engage a new
set of Wikipedia users. This new medium opens the possibility to get new
donors on our list, and educate more people about the Foundation and the
movement.

*I cant help but notice that you mentioned the work will be done by Middle
Seat <http://middleseat.co/ <http://middleseat.co/>>, and not that it is
former staff member Zack Exley's company. Is there a requirement that this
consulting job will culminate in a published and openly licensed report by
Middle Seat?*

Zack Exley is not directly involved in this experiment, though he is a
founding member of Middle Seat. We’re working with Middle Seat to tap into
their expertise in social advertising and targeting, but all content
approval and reporting will be handled by the Foundation in keeping with
our established best practices.

I appreciate your scrutiny and the chance to offer some more clarity on
this test.

regards,
sam