Maybe I misunderstand what you wrote, but from what I read they do not
claim copyright over the objects. They only tell you "do not take pictures
of it". Even if an object is in the public domain, the actual physical
object is still their property and they can do whatever they want with it,
it does not have to be displayed and they don't have to allow photographs
of it even if it is exposed. However, if such photographs str taken, they
cannot restrict their distribution. This is not a case of "copyfraud" from
that point of view.

JP

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:23 AM, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> "On 28 July 2017 at 13:02, Fæ <fae...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Tullie House Museum in Carlisle has a number of objects on loan
> > from the British Museum,[3] and it appears that it is only those
> > objects that have any restrictions on photography. I took photographs
> > of two of these (without any flash), as the restrictions are
> > shockingly obvious cases of copyfraud, and not for any reason that
> > might protect the works from damage.[1][2] It seems incomprehensible
> > as to why the British Museum would ever want to make copyright claims
> > over ~2,000 year old works especially considering they are not a
> > money-making commercial enterprise, but a National institute and
> > charity, with a stated objective[4] that "the collection should be put
> > to public use and be freely accessible".
>
> That on of the most egregious cases I've ever seen.
>
> I note that the exhibition, according to the web page (your link [3]), is:
>
> "Funded by The European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), Northwest
> Regional Development Agency (NWDA), Renaissance Northwest and Carlisle
> City Council."
>
> I wonder whether they're aware of these false claims? I should imagine
> Julia Reda would be interested, given that EU money is involved.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Jean-Philippe Béland

[image: Wikimedia Canada] Vice-président — Wikimédia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=fr>, chapitre national
soutenant Wikipédia
Vice president — Wikimedia Canada
<https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page?uselang=en>, national chapter