It is my understanding that many museums automatically put a restriction on
copying of material on loan, since they have not themselves investigated
the copyright status. I have known libraries to do that for any book
received by inter-library loan, on the same basis. Such restrictions can of
course sometime produce ludicrous results, as here.

On Tue, Aug 1, 2017 at 7:10 AM, Jean-Philippe Béland <jpbel...@wikimedia.ca>
wrote:

> Exact replica should not be copyrighted in my opinion since they are not a
> "creation of the mind". That being said, the changes made by the one doing
> the replica can be copyrighted.
>
> In this case of the museum, I think the person(s) doing the restoration did
> a "creation of the mind" since they rebuild it without having an exact
> model to copy.
>
> JP
>
> On Tue, Aug 1, 2017, 02:36 Yaroslav Blanter, <ymb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually, on Commons I had photographs deleted on the ground that the
> > depicted building is a replica of an old building which went out of
> > copyright, but the replica is copyrighted (despite my objection). When I
> > myself nominated a photograph on the same grounds, it was kept. I do not
> > particularly care which one is correct, but it would be great to have
> > consistent practice.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Yaroslav
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Gordon Joly <gordon.j...@pobox.com>
> > wrote:

> > "creation
> > > of

> > > The Cutty Sark was almost destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt. I would
> > > say it a visitor attraction (of very high quality) that it is a
> > > facsimile of the craft that sailed the oceans. I have visited both
> > > before and after the fire (and rebuilding). Some timbers would also
> have
> > > replaced before the fire and also planned replacement during the 2007
> > > conservation closure period when the fire took place.
> > >
> > > Sir Arthur Evans also rebuilt an artifact, Knossos, and he used
> > > concrete, which was not around in the era 1380–1100 BCE.
> > >
> > > Has something has been "created" by a mind? I would say yes, to both.
> In
> > > the case of the Cutty Sark, the ship was placed in a new "dry dock" so
> > > that visitors can view the hull (for example).
> > >
> > > Gordo

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG