The comment is a little bit partial.

The governance is partially connected with the local system law. In some countries no profit association are linked to strict parameters and the governance is not an option. I don't know personally the system law of France, but I suppose that it's weaker than in other countries.

The last point is connected with the point of privileges which are, at the opposite, balanced by stricter parameters than user groups.

Chapters have some obligations compensated by few privileges, and honestly the state of User Group is at the moment the easiest way to get an official recognition by WMF.

It's sufficient to check how many user groups have been created recently and how many chapters to define clearly if there is a "marginalization of alternatives".

Kind regards