Ilario,

A statement[1] released at the time said,

"Over the past six months, a Wikimedia UK trustee led two Wikipedia-related
projects, Monmouthpedia and Gibraltarpedia, in a way that seemed to some
observers to blur his roles as a Wikimedia UK trustee, a paid consultant
for the projects’ government partners, and an editor of the English
Wikipedia. This raised questions in the Wikimedia community about whether a
trustee was able to balance appropriately the interests of his clients with
his responsibilities to Wikimedia UK, the values and editorial policies of
Wikipedia, and whether any conflict of interest that arose as a result was
effectively managed.

"To better understand the facts and details of these allegations and to
ensure that governance arrangements commensurate with the standing of the
Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia UK and the worldwide Wikimedia movement,
Wikimedia UK’s trustees and the Wikimedia Foundation will jointly appoint
an independent expert advisor to objectively review both Wikimedia UK’s
governance arrangements and its handling of the conflict of interest."

The present situation is not entirely dissimilar: questions about the
then-board's conduct (prior to Chris Keating's chairmanship), and
specifically its handling of conflicts of interest, first arose in the
community and then made their way into press reports.

It's worth remembering that the above WMF/WMUK statement only came about
ten days AFTER the press started picking up on this.

And while it's true that WMUK and WMF jointly commissioned the report, my
recollection is that WMUK did not have much choice in the matter.

The governance review eventually vindicated the community concerns, finding
that there had indeed been significant governance failings.[2]

It seems to me WMUK became a more mature organisation as a result of this
episode. A similar approach and outcome may well be possible for WMFR as
well.

Andreas

[1] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/09/28/joint-statement-from-wikimedia-
foundation-and-wikimedia-uk/
[2] http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/review-urges-major-
overhaul-governance-wikimedia-uk/governance/article/1170282