Hi Everyone,

The next Research Showcase will be live-streamed this Wednesday, September
20, 2017 at 11:30 AM (PST) 18:30 UTC.

YouTube stream:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR5JwqyVGSk

As usual, you can join the conversation on IRC at #wikimedia-research. And,
you can watch our past research showcases here
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research/Showcase#September_2017>.

This month's presentation:

A Glimpse into BabelAn Analysis of Multilinguality in WikidataBy *Lucie-Aimée
Kaffee*Multilinguality is an important topic for knowledge bases,
especially Wikidata, that was build to serve the multilingual requirements
of an international community. Its labels are the way for humans to
interact with the data. In this talk, we explore the state of languages in
Wikidata as of now, especially in regard to its ontology, and the
relationship to Wikipedia. Furthermore, we set the multilinguality of
Wikidata in the context of the real world by comparing it to the
distribution of native speakers. We find an existing language
maldistribution, which is less urgent in the ontology, and promising
results for future improvements. An outlook on how users interact with
languages on Wikidata will be given.

Science is Shaped by WikipediaEvidence from a Randomized Control TrialBy *Neil
C. Thompson and Douglas Hanley*As the largest encyclopedia in the world, it
is not surprising that Wikipedia reflects the state of scientific
knowledge. However, Wikipedia is also one of the most accessed websites in
the world, including by scientists, which suggests that it also has the
potential to shape science. This paper shows that it does. Incorporating
ideas into a Wikipedia article leads to those ideas being used more in the
scientific literature. This paper documents this in two ways:
correlationally across thousands of articles in Wikipedia and causally
through a randomized experiment where we added new scientific content to
Wikipedia. We find that fully a third of the correlational relationship is
causal, implying that Wikipedia has a strong shaping effect on science. Our
findings speak not only to the influence of Wikipedia, but more broadly to
the influence of repositories of scientific knowledge. The results suggest
that increased provision of information in accessible repositories is a
very cost-effective way to advance science. We also find that such gains
are equity-improving, disproportionately benefitting those without
traditional access to scientific information.

Many kind regards,

Sarah R. Rodlund
Senior Project Coordinator-Product & Technology, Wikimedia Foundation
srodl...@wikimedia.org