Excellent! Still, as I argued before, I believe that a solution we could
use is defaulting to Tor channeling in our mobile app. Facebook offers it
as an option in partnership with Orbot - I believe we should do the same,
but default to it (so that people cannot be held responsible for making a
choice). For unlogged Wikipedia reading this solution is practically
transparent for users.

I've recently contacted the WMF with Orbot people and hope that at least we
can evaluate this approach as a possibility.

best,

Dariusz Jemielniak "pundit"

On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 2:11 AM, Cristian Consonni <crist...@balist.es>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some months ago, the idea of setting up an onion service for Wikimedia
> projects was discussed on this list[1] and as a proposal in IdeaLab on
> Meta[2].
>
> Today, Alec Muffett announced on Twitter[3] that he created «as an
> experiment» a series of read-only mirrors of all the Wikimedia projects.
> He will be running them for some time.
>
> The service is reachable with a Tor-enabled browser at the following
> address:
> https://www.qgssno7jk2xcr2sj.onion/

> If you want to try out the service, first visit the addresses listed in
> this page and add exceptions for the SSL certificates:
> https://gist.github.com/alecmuffett/3da587fde6aef90ba3e49e8858fafdae
>
> (this is one of the limits of having a non-official service)
>
> Alec Muffett is the author of the Enterprise Onion Toolkit (EOTK)[4], a
> FLOSS project which "does for Onions what LetsEncrypt does for SSL",
> that is providing a simple way to transform websites in Onion services
> (which are accessible only and contained within the Tor network). Alec
> used EOTK for creating this demo. He was also behind the onion service
> for Facebook[5].
>
> IMO this service, even with its current limitations, is quite awesome
> and I am very happy to see it. It is exactly the kind of proof of
> concept that I wanted to create with my proposal. So now there's that.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Cristian
>
> [1]: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2017-
> June/087708.html
> [2]:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab/A_Tor_
> Onion_Service_for_Wikipedia
> [3]:https://twitter.com/AlecMuffett/status/933739816038076419
> [4]: https://github.com/alecmuffett/eotk
> [5]:
> https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/
> 10/facebook-offers-hidden-service-to-tor-users/

<http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/> prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
kierownik katedry MINDS (Management in Networked and Digital Societies)
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://NeRDS.kozminski.edu.pl  <http://nerds.kozminski.edu.pl/>

associate faculty w Berkman-Klein Center for Internet and Society,
Harvard University
*Ostatnie artykuły:*

   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Maciej Wilamowski (2017)  Cultural Diversity of
   Quality of Information on Wikipedias
   <http://crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/cultures%20of%20wikipedias.pdf>
*Journal
   of the Association for Information Science and Technology* 68:  10.
    2460–2470.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Wikimedia Movement Governance: The Limits
   of A-Hierarchical Organization
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/wikimedia_governance.pdf> *Journal
   of Organizational Change Management *29:  3.  361-378.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak, Eduard Aibar (2016)  Bridging the Gap Between
   Wikipedia and Academia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/bridging.pdf> *Journal of the
   Association for Information Science and Technology* 67:  7.  1773-1776.
   - Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Breaking the Glass Ceiling on Wikipedia
   <http://www.crow.kozminski.edu.pl/papers/glass-ceiling.pdf> *Feminist
   Review *113:  1.  103-108.
   - Tadeusz Chełkowski, Peter Gloor, Dariusz Jemielniak (2016)  Inequalities
   in Open Source Software Development: Analysis of Contributor’s Commits in
   Apache Software Foundation Projects

<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/asset?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0152976.PDF>
   , *PLoS ONE* 11:  4.  e0152976.