Welcome, Esra'a !

Fantastic, and congratulations!

Regards, Scott

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Pierre-Selim <pierre-se...@huard.info>
wrote:

> Welcome Esra'a !
>
> Le 1 déc. 2017 23:23, "Michael Peel" <em...@mikepeel.net> a écrit :
>
> > Thank you, Esra’a, for volunteering!
> >
> > However, I’m very concerned by this:
> >
> > "P.S. Due to the nature of Esra’a’s work, sharing photos or videos of
> > Esra’a may endanger her safety or the safety of others. To help ensure
> the
> > privacy and safety of Esra’a and her colleagues, we are not sharing any
> > photographs or videos of Esra'a. We ask that you please join us in
> > supporting this important safety consideration.”
> >
> > This is security by obscurity (https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q133735) -
> > which is at best a temporary measure that won’t last, particularly in a
> > high-profile position like this. Aside from the potential media coverage,
> > Wikimedia events are very well photographed by Wikimedians who want to
> > illustrate a rather well-read encyclopaedia… This leads to an awkward
> > situation where someone’s safety and Wikimedia’s openness are
> conflicting,
> > which is not OK.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
> >
> > > On 1 Dec 2017, at 19:59, Katherine Maher <kma...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you, Christophe, for sharing this excellent news.
> > >
> > > Those of you who were at Wikimania or watching on the livestream had
> the
> > > chance to get acquainted with Esra'a through her keynote. I'm certain
> > that,
> > > if you were part of that audience, you'll join me in agreeing that she
> is
> > > an exceptional and accomplished individual who brings a whole host of
> > > talents to our movement. I'm personally delighted that she will be
> > lending
> > > her perspective and wisdom to our movement and to the governance of the
> > > Wikimedia Foundation. There is so much we can learn from her, and I
> hope
> > > she finds her tenure on the Board to be rewarding.
> > >
> > > Esra'a, thank you so very much for joining our Board and engaging even
> > more
> > > with our movement! It is an honor to have this opportunity to work with
> > you.
> > >
> > > Yours,
> > > Katherine

> fabulous

> forward

> thrilled
> have
> > Board
> > seat.

> > utilizes
> will

> the
> movement!

> this

> Trustees

> and

> Foundation
> > rights
> > Wikimedia

> and
> Africa.

> [...]

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President
- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure under applicable federal or state laws.  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify me immediately by email or telephone.

World University and School is sending you this because of your interest in
free, online, higher education. If you don't want to receive these, please
reply with 'unsubscribe' in the body of the email, leaving the subject line
intact. Thank you.