you are not "exposing the user unknowingly visiting the site" with the bot
itself...when you visit the site you are integrated in the SUL, it's public
information since ages. The fact that a bot takes care of it or a human being
leaves a message does not tell you a lot more. Sometimes on certain wiki
welcome messages are delivered sometimes they are not. Sometimes immediately,
sometimes later. It's a very fragmented situation so the bot tells you
basically nothing per se, it simple makes some people aware that the
information of visiting a site exists and it is public.
So the question is not about the bot, the question is if when you do
thishttps://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ACentralAuth&target=Alexmar983
and you can read that it's public that for example I was attached on fawiki on
21:41, 11 April 2012, which is basically when I visited it the first time.
Although not strictly, I could have visited it and the system having problem
and log me out (that also happen) so technically this is not even true
sometimes... But even if it was precise, is the public knowledge of this
information really a threat to my privacy? or it is justing many of the things
I implicitly agree when I make an account?
The "violation of privacy" of such information, it's not even comparable with
dozen of other things in your life. But seriously if THIS is a problem and had
to be "put secret" than I'd expect to be informed when a check user look at my
data. You know.... a few group of people decide when it's right or wrong to
look at my personal data and not informing me when they do it probably because
they found nothing (but they have such information in their hand now, don't
they? Shouldn't I generic user be informed about it?), that's not very nice for
the privacy of anyone. So the core point is not that I receive a message once a
year that makes me aware that the SUL information exist, but that I don't
receive a lot of other messages that I should receiving about who's looking at
many others of my personal data.
Privacy is a serious matter. I expect RfC for things that have impact. Now
imagine that I go to people that are worried and tell them the nobody really
cares that they are not informed when someone look inside their provider data
(because put in the end of a small group of people is "enough") or that the
disaggregated information of CU activity is not public for the majority of
platforms... but someone cares so much if they receive a welcoming message by
bot when they visit a platform for the first time. I am quite sure that the
users I know will not be impressed.

    Il Venerdì 26 Gennaio 2018 0:27, John Erling Blad <jeb...@gmail.com> ha