> Personally, I'd love to see WMF or a chapter set up a public Mastodon
> instance; the project has matured significantly since its first
> release and is at least a viable free/open alternative to the
> Twitter-ish forms of social networking. FB still has event management
> functions that are difficult to substitute, however.

Even if there would be an open-source alternative with all the
Facebook functionality, installing, maintaining and promoting it would
be a huge waste of money. The Facebook pages are an *outreach* tool,
which implies getting out of our walled garden, not extending the
garden. Choosing Facebook is simply the smart thing to do ATM, since
all alternatives are smaller in size and engagement.

The more interesting thing is what you do once you have the page and
you have convinced your community to put it in a banner or sidebar. I
have experimented with small tasks that could be done by newcomers,
such as identifying images or correcting diacritics, with somewhat
mixed results (the more I go towards text editing, the lower the
impact). I am curious if other people have done similar experiments
and would be willing to share their experience.

Strainu