On the subject of paid translation, I could imagine this being included in
the scope of work for a "Wiki Community Foundation" or "Wiki Content
Foundation" that would do work that WMF doesn't do and/or shouldn't do. I
have a number of activities in mind for this kind of organization.
Unfortunately, I do not know how to fund it. I think that this organization
should get most of its funding from non-WMF sources, and WMF has such
strong fundraising capabilities that I think that competing with WMF for
funding from readers and grant-making organizations would be very
difficult. If WMF would like to have conversations about how the community
could raise funds directly from readers and non-WMF foundations, I for one
would be very interested in having that conversation.

Pine