Hi Philip,

The idea of local or regional user groups coexisting with a national
chapter isn't a new one; in fact, it was one of the principal scenarios
that was considered when the concept of user groups was first developed.
There are many such user groups already in existence, including local
groups that collaborate with Wikimedia India, Wikimedia Russia, and other
chapters, and we are not aware of any significant problems in this regard.

Having said that: as part of our ongoing movement strategy-related
activities, the Affiliations Committee is taking a deeper look at what
overlapping and intersecting affiliate scopes and structures might look
like in the future, and whether our current understanding of such scenarios
is effective and sustainable.  I would anticipate that we'll be releasing
additional information on our initial thoughts in this area, and our plans
for community consultations around those thoughts, in the coming months.

Regards,
Kirill Lokshin
Chair, Affiliations Committee