If we want to improve the situation, I think one of the simplest things
to do would be to increase the presence of WMF and Wikipedia on the
Federation and Fediverse networks-of-networks. For a start, we could
just be cross-posting from the WMF blog officially.

And I don't think we need a non-Zuckerberg clone of Facebook, owned by WMF
of whoever.

I really support the idea of decentralization, open source code and
gradual improvement. If the existing open-source decentralized solutions
don't seem good enough, the best thing to do is to work on improving
them instead of reinventing the wheel.

Best,
User:Yury Bulka
https://diasp.eu/u/yurb