Mathieu, thank you for your research and for connecting so many dots.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 6:40 AM mathieu lovato stumpf guntz <
psychosl...@culture-libre.org> wrote:

> Although Mastodon doesn't seem to be what I was looking for at start, I do
> think it would be great to launch a Wikimedia instance and completely in
> phase with the aim of becoming an essential infrastructure of the ecosystem
> of free knowledge. So let me know if I can help in any way on this regard.
> :)

In my professional role, I think it is worth considering the idea of
approaching Wikimedia to the Fediverse as part of

> Knowledge as a service: To serve our users, we will become a platform
that serves open knowledge to the world across interfaces and communities.
> We will build tools for allies and partners to organize and exchange free
knowledge beyond Wikimedia.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction

In fact, I have started some very casual conversations about these ideas
(equivalent to chats by the coffee machine, except that I'm remote and I
don't drink coffee), partially motivated by this thread.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198363 is a good umbrella task. If
someone wants to develop the idea of creating a Wikimedia instance in the
Fediverse (official or not), then that would deserve its own discussion.
Where to start this discussion? IdeaLab? Maybe it doesn't matter as long as
we have one place well advertised.

There are at least three aspects to consider:

* Technical: Creating i.e. a Mastodon instance somewhere is technically
simple, running that instance in Wikimedia production servers is another
story. While there is no need to start with a service in production, it is
useful to consider the scenario early on.

* Legal: Aiming for an official Wikimedia instance has implications of
trademarks, legal requirements, and so on. While there is no need to start
with an official instance, it is useful to consider the scenario early on.

* Social: While creating an instance would be simple, having a critical
mass of Wikimedians aware of it and using it regularly is not. There is no
lack of brilliant ideas that failed because the people didn't follow. And
here you would be fighting against resistance to change e.g. from those
believing that Wikimedians should focus on wikis only, from Wikimedians
well invested in corporate social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc) and of
course with everyone being "too busy to join another channel". Whoever
drives this initiative must be ready to work hard explaining, promoting,
supporting...

Bottom line: this would be an initiative relatively simple to start, that
has a clear risk of complications coming if it succeeds. Considering that
the likely scenario for any new experiment is that it will close in less
than a year, I think those complications caused by success is a problem the
promoters of this initiative would want to have.

PS: In my personal time I am a Fediverse enthusiast and a Mastodon instance
admin, and for this reason I am being cautious about bias / being too
passionate.  :)

--
Quim Gil
Senior Manager of Community Relations @ Wikimedia Foundation