Le 10/04/2018 à 11:03, David Cuenca Tudela a écrit :
Regarding the question if the WMF should build a social network for the
masses, I don't think it should. A general purpose social network is mainly
used for sharing personal events, viral stories, cat pictures, and so on.
It does not offer long-term cultural value.
While I think I understand your concern, however it seems to me that it doesn't take into account the value of this kind of "silly data", in serious research in fields like anthropology, sociology or linguistic, just to name a few.

If Wikimedia want to become an essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and let anyone who shares our vision able to join us, then we certainly must do something about the social networking topic. Integrating matching features in a dedicated platform would allow to promote path to other kind of contributions.

If the goal of this announced infrastructure is to enable to collect and use different forms of free, trusted knowledge, then starting with collecting data, and encouraging curation through gamification of services might be a path. All data which are not published under a free license right from the start will be harder to make relicensed under a free license latter, and all people which are feeding input into non-free platforms are basically sending them to oblivion as far as free knowledge is concerned, which won't help the "sum of all knowledge" goal. That is, rather than losing completely potential contributors because their habits do include silly inputs, especially when they are new comers, you can build them a landing space for silly stuffs and design paths toward more virtuous/prestigious contributions.

Cheers