Hoi,
I do blog and tweet using #AfricaGap..  At this time I am adding countries
and their "administrative and territorial entities" in Wikidata. In many a
Wikipedia, they want to have "human settlements" linked to the lowest level
and these to every time a higher level.

What I do is add more and more countries. The information is incomplete. It
takes a lot of people and a lot of time to get this done. To gain
participation, I add Listeria list to a set of Wikipedias. I work on
cleaning up the data but there is much to be done. One of the benefits of
the Listeria lists for me is that I notice any and all activity. After
Wikimania there was a spike, thanks to some bot work.

What I have noticed is that information on Wikipedias did not keep up with
changes that rearanged these "territories". Consequently start and end
dates are missing on many items. For me, the current situation is most
relevant and historic "territories" are not really considered by me.

You find what I am working on here [1]. You will find much of the same data
on several (African language) Wikipedias.
Thanks,
     GerardM

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:GerardM/Africa#African_geographical_subdivisions