The Wikimedia Conference is "closed" in that only those who are invited are
allowed to attend. Wikimania is an open conference meaning basically anyone
can attend, including those currently outside the movement. I view a global
conference as critical to our long term success. Well most of what we
achieve, we can do so without face to face meetings, many important
projects and collaborations have grown out of Wikimania. For me these have
included CopyPatrol, our collaboration with the World Health Organization,
Wikivoyage, and Internet-in-a-Box. I am sure others have similar stories.

James

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian