On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 1:10 PM Andrew Lih <andrew....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 3:40 AM Chris Keating <chriskeatingw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So it seems that the main rationale for an annual Wikimania brought up in
> > the 2016 meeting was that Wikimania was vital for movement governance and
> > accountability. Which wasn't particularly stressed in the WMF's
> > consultation, but I can see why that kind of issue was very fresh in
> > peoples' minds in 2016.
> >

> As the facilitator of the 2016 session discussing Wikimania, I don't recall
> the "main rationale" of the discussion being about "governance and
> accountability" and instead remember many more issues that stood out.
>
> For example, the prominent phrases from the first part of the meeting
> include the following, with most of the notes echoing these themes:
> - inspiring, and connecting
> - opportunity for different communities to meet
> - important to use opportunity to do outreach
> - empower important volunteers

Sorry, don't think I expressed myself particularly well. Yes, those
themes appear to have been present in the meeting, but they were also
very much present in the WMF's consultation, which concluded that they
could probably be fulfilled just as well by moving to a
one-year-in-two rotation between Wikimanias and other regional
gatherings.