Hi Lodewijk,

If Wikimania was an entity rather than an event, it would be in the
top 5 entities in the movement - a smaller budget than WMF, Wikimedia
Deutschland and the Wiki Education Foundation but larger than anything
else...

And yet it doesn't have any objectives (or at least, not consistent
ones), the governance of it is that there's one staff member, a
committee with an ill-defined role that you can only get appointed to
by organising a Wikimania, and the only serious discussion about what
it's for was one online discussion that reached a conclusion that
no-one appears willing to support. And there is very little formal
followup and attempting to build on the results (something WMCON, for
instance, has been very good at).

This isn't to criticise everyone involved in making Wikimania happen,
I know it's a huge amount of effort and responsibility and often not
very well-supported. And I know there *are* innovations aimed at
making the conference more effective (for instance, this year we
finally had poster sessions, which are a great idea for sharing
thoughts and making connections, because you can fit a lot more into
one room and an hour than if you have someone giving an hour-long
presentation...) - but I can't help but feel that there would be more
things like that happening if there was a clearer idea of purpose and
objectives.

In a different thread I'm being quite critical of the direction
WMCON/Wikimedia Summit is taking. But that's only possible because
there *is* a direction, and therefore it's possible to think about
whether it's the right direction or not.

Chris