Hi Paulo,

Camelia's paragraph that you referred to tells a story that is exactly the
opposite of what the Affiliations Committee is doing in practice. The
so-called 'Brazilian scenario' emerged in Macedonia when, in 2016, the
committee decided to recognise a second user group on the same territory
without consulting the existing one. This has eventually developed into a
problem regarding the overlap in the scope of the two user groups and the
resolution was normally sought from the people (more importantly
volunteers) who were not willing this to happen. It should be also noted
that Macedonia is a country with only 2 million inhabitants unlike Brazil's
over 200 million and this has been mentioned numerous times by different
people in the movement to refer to the severity of the problem.

My opinion is that the Affiliations Committee has no vision on the future
of the Wikimedia movement and their main efficiency indicator is the number
of user groups they recognise with no care about the consequencies of the
apparent wrongdoing. They managed to bring the tally to over 100 user
groups and the Wikimedia Foundation even got engaged to celebrate this
achievement, while they did not give a damn about the problems that they
have posed with their light-minded routine. Moreover, when you approach
them with some relevant questions, they simply brush off and respond with a
months-long delay.

In conclusion, the Affiliations Committee is artificially creating problems
as a result of their recognition policy and is seeking resolution from
volunteers that were not consulted at all about the potential
consequencies. This is a waste of volunteer time and efforts for something
that could have easily been prevented. Unfortunately, the Wikimedia
Foundation and some other voices in the movement contribute to this misery
and it is highly unprobable that any complaint to any one in the movement
would pay off.

Best regards,
Kiril

On сре., 13 фев. 2019 г. at 16:13 Paulo Santos Perneta <
paulospern...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> camelia boban <camelia.bo...@gmail.com> escreveu no dia terça, 12/02/2019
> à(s) 11:18:
>

> > (...)
> > In line with the philosophy of the inclusion of the movement, AffCom has
> > acted as it always does when it receives affiliation requests: it
> assesses
> > the territorial overlap and the declared purpose of the requests with
> > others affiliates present in the territory, contacting the already
> > recognized affiliates to hear from them about any concerns, using the
> > experience and knowledge on the territory of each of its members.
> >

> I suppose this was not in effect back in 2015, when Wiki Education Brazil
> was approved, as neither the existing affiliate in Brazil  - UG Wikimedia
> in Brazil -, nor Wikimedia Portugal, have been consulted about it, even
> when it totally overlapped with the territory of the existing affiliate in
> Brazil, and was announced by AffCom as having a Lusophone target, therefore
> interfering in Portugal as well. Furthermore, at the date it was approved,
> Wiki Education Brazil was already in open conflict with the existing
> affiliate in Brazil, which makes the approval decision by AffCom absolutely
> incomprehensible.
>
> Actually, I really fail to understand why the candidatures to AffCom
> continue allowed to be proposed in absolute secrecy, leaving any problems
> caused by their approvals to be dealt with by the community after the
> problem is already installed. Does not seem a very clever way of acting.
>
> Best,
>
> Paulo - DarwIn
> Wikimedia Portugal
  • [Wikimedia-l] Recognit... Kirill Lokshin
    • Re: [Wikimedia-l]... Philip Kopetzky
      • Re: [Wikimedi... Mardetanha
        • Re: [Wiki... Paulo Santos Perneta
          • Re: [... Philip Kopetzky
            • ... Alessandro Marchetti via Wikimedia-l
              • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
                • ... camelia boban
                • ... Philip Kopetzky
                • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
                • ... Kiril Simeonovski
                • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
                • ... Kiril Simeonovski
                • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
                • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
                • ... Greta Doçi
                • ... Paulo Santos Perneta
                • ... Kiril Simeonovski
                • ... Фархад Фаткуллин / Farkhad Fatkullin
                • ... Silva Arapi
                • ... Greta Doçi